Psoriasis refers to a skin condition, characterized by accelerated cellular life cycles. Although psoriasis is a source of physical and mental anguish, the symptoms can be managed with a visit to Ogden Clinic Dermatology. In addition to helping you find the best psoriasis treatments, therapies and medication in Bountiful, a dermatologist will help you understand the types of psoriasis and treatment options that can help you manage the condition.
Causes of Psoriasis and Treatment Options in Bountiful
Forms of psoriasis and treatment options vary, but all are associated with accelerated cellular activity. A clinician will review your medical records, family health history and symptoms to determine the type, which include:
- Plaque psoriasis causes dry, red and raised skin lesions with silverish scales, called plaques, resulting from the buildup of extra cells, on the skin’s surface. They can appear anywhere, causing itching or pain.
- Guttate psoriasis affects young adults and children and is initiated by a bacterial infection. Small, water-drop-shaped lesions appear on the chest, arms, scalp or legs.
- Inverse psoriasis is often caused by fungal infections and appears on the armpits, groin, around the genitals or beneath the breasts as smooth, red patches of skin
- Pustular psoriasis may occur in large (generalized) or small patches, causing pus-filled blisters to appear after appearance of inflamed, reddish skin spots. In generalized cases, diarrhea, chills, fever and severe itching may occur.
- Erythrodermic psoriasis, the least-common form of the condition, may form a red, peeling rash, covering the whole body.
Topical Treatments Promote Healing.
Over-the-counter (OTC) topical corticosteroids reduce inflammation and relieve itching in mild to moderate cases, but they are a short-term solution. Other OTC topicals include anthralin, salicylic acid, coal tar and moisturizers.
Light Therapy Stimulates Healing in Affected Areas.
Exposing the skin to controlled amounts of natural or artificial ultraviolet light may slow the progression of psoriasis, but too much exposure may worsen symptoms. Psoriasis and treatment options or plans using light therapy should only be used under medical supervision. Our clinic in Bountiful has years of experience performing these psoriasis therapies.
Prescription Medications May Be Necessary.
Oral or injected medications, like retinoids, methotrexate, cyclosporine and other immune suppressants, may improve severe psoriasis. However, these medications can have serious side effects, and adhering to a prescriber’s plan of care is essential to avoiding major complications, like organ failure. Never begin or stop a prescription regimen without medical advice. Psoriasis medication from our Bountiful clinic can help you get your skin back to normal and regain confidence.
If you suffer from psoriasis and its impact on your physical and mental health, schedule your consultation in Bountiful to get on the path to fewer flare ups and better quality of life.